Maintaining good oral health during orthodontic treatment is especially important for kids because dental decay is one of the most common childhood diseases. We have outlined several ways for kids in braces or Invisalign to stay healthy and the importance of following good oral hygiene.
6 WAYS TO KEEP KIDS TEETH HEALTHY DURING ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT:
1. Avoid pop, sugary drinks, like Gatorade, Dr. Pepper and Coke, and candy. If you do eat or drink these items, we recommend brushing your teeth afterwards. Teen girl brushing teeth
Sugary foods increase plaque build up on your teeth, and plaque is especially more difficult to remove when wearing braces.
2. Keep regularly scheduled dental cleanings with your dentist every 4 months.
When wearing orthodontic appliances, it is even more important to make sure your teeth stay clean. Your dental hygienist can help get in those nooks and crannies that you might be missing.
3. Brush your teeth 2-3 times per day for 3-5 minutes each time.
4. Floss your teeth at least once a day.
5. Use a fluoride treatment to protect your teeth from cavities.
6. Keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste in your backpack at school to keep teeth clean after lunch.
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF KIDS DIDN’T KEEP UP WITH THEIR ORAL HYGIENE?
If teeth are not kept healthy during braces or Invisalign treatment, they have a higher chance of developing cavities, scars can form on their teeth around the braces brackets, gum swelling could occur, and teeth movement could slow down in response.
WHAT EXACTLY DOES FLOSSING DO?
Flossing helps remove plaque and foods from between teeth in areas that brushing cannot reach.
WHY IS A FLUORIDE TREATMENT IMPORTANT?
We recommend you use fluoride daily, because fluoride gives your teeth extra protection from damage and cavities. It also helps build enamel on your teeth, which can be decreased with certain foods.
We recommend choosing a fluoride treatment mouth rinse or paste, such as Gel-Kam, which is available in our office or in stores.